Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Reflection



This is the last week of the semester and we only have two classes left. I have enjoyed this class immensely and will miss not only the games and exercise but my fellow students. I have never been in a gym class where I have felt a part of the class, partially I believe it's because we, the student's, have grown, as well as myself as a person, also possibly because I was determined to have fun, enjoy myself and learn something. We also have a teacher who explained games, processes, and how to teach a P.E. class in a way that allowed me to understand the methodology and my past P.E. experiences.
The two learning methods that we were introduced to are teaching personal and social responsibility (TPSR) and Teaching games for understanding (TGFU) (through a tactical perspective). Both teaching styles are much different from what I had experienced in previous gym class situations. Both styles that were introduced to us empower the students and allow them to control how they learn, and be a bigger part of the class.
I believe combining the two methods would be a good idea through the TGFU method we could teach different forms of responsibility and social awareness where the TPSR method teaches a different way to look at situations and problems, it also teaches a new energetic way to involve students more deeply in the class.
For the TPSR method of getting involved in the community we could have a TGFU tactical problem of picking up garbage by the road, and then have a few games to help pick up the garbage and make the social responsibility fun as well as making it so that students want to do this activity again.
I don't intend to give up or forget the information that I have learned, nor do I intend to stop learning more information about these methods and possibly using them in my future teaching techniques. I also have never been "into" sports but am now not wanting to give up the exercise and activity that I have grown to enjoy, look foreword to and want, I know I will miss the activity if I don't continue and I will miss the class very much. I may even continue to write down games and make notes about teaching.

1 comment:

  1. Great post Alanna. I am so glad this class was positive for you. It was wonderful to meet you and good luck in your future career. You will be a great teacher.

    ReplyDelete